Siam News Network internships
Siam News Network offers young journalists internship programs. Interns work with full-time staff in a challenging but supportive environment.
You will be responsible for multiple aspects of marketing of our clients including: promotional materials, public presentations, and advertising techniques
- Research potentially new markets for programs
- Attend presentations, interfaith panels and other key events to learn about business in Thailand and write articles and/or take photos
- Assist with speaker training workshops, meetings and other events
- Conduct research and analysis, by tabulating results from evaluation forms and creating reports summarizing key findings
- Participate in the development of new marketing materials
- Help with testing and using new technology such as webinars and webcasting
- Develop written and website-based promotional materials for Thailand Business News activities, scholarship program, training offerings.
- Develop and implement specific approaches to marketing Thailand Business News services and
- special events with an emphasis on client outreach and website development.
- Provide public presentations to individuals and groups including Thailand Business News clients, groups, community conferences, and other venues.
- Develop and implement materials and marketing methods for special events and capital campaigns.
- Strong Verbal and Written Communication Skills
- Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks within identified timeframes
- Basic Desktop Publishing and Website Management skills (e.g.: Microsoft Publisher, Adobe PageMaker / Photoshop, etc.)
- Positive attitude, flexibility and problem solving mentality.
- Willingness to provide public presentations in a variety of settings
- Desire to work in a small rapidly expanding business setting with a wide range of individuals with diverse needs.
Thailand Business News is offering a Three to Six months internship program for young journalists.
The program is open to graduates under the age of 30 who have never held a full-time, permanent staff position at a newspaper or website in Thailand.
A demonstrated commitment to journalism is required, through a combination of formal journalism training and experience, or extensive experience.
This is a demanding program because summer journalists are hired on vacation replacement contracts – meaning that as full-time staff disappear on vacations, summer interns are expected to step up to the demands of replacing them.
The 12-week contracts for journalists are all general assignment positions and successful applicants could be writing features, courts, inquests, breaking news or health and education stories, in other words, anything that’s happening. Summer journalists also shoot photos and must have multimedia skills.
The positions are open to college and university level students, (or college and university level journalists) or students who graduate in the year of the summer program they are applying for.
The program begins with orientation. Monthly seminars and volunteer mentors offer additional support.
What we look for:
- Enthusiastic, talented, curious and intelligent journalists with a strong work ethic, positive attitude and a passion for the profession.
- Fluency in other languages and experience with different cultural and ethnic communities are assets.
- A strong portfolio of published or posted work is required.
- Photography and multimedia skills are also required.
Packages should contain the following collated material (in this order):
- Cover letter, state position applying for at top of page in bold type. Include email, street address and phone number.
Need for journalist applications:
- A range of writing with a strong component of news stories
- Proven ability to write well, report thoroughly, synthesize and organize information
- Reporting experience outside school assignments and a demonstrated commitment to journalism
- Photography and multimedia experience
- Strong people skills
- Life experience that contributes to your development/ability as a journalist
3. Web Designer Page Designer internship applications for 6 months program:
Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, often under tight deadlines
Knowledge of Dreamweaver, Photoshop and WordPress. Flash skills considered an asset. Knowledge of php, mysql, xml, ajax and RSS content syndicating.
- Previous newspaper or magazine experience required (campus publications qualify)
How to apply
Each position and program requires a separate application.
Please read the following instructions carefully. We thank all applicants for their interest. If you provide an email address, we will send a standard message that acknowledges receipt of your package. Applications and accompanying materials will not be returned. Once applications are in, we will be in touch only with candidates we would like to interview.
Application packages for journalists must include a one-page cover letter, resume, three references (names and contact numbers – both home and cellphone plus email addresses are sufficient but you may include reference letters if you wish) and a selection of six to eight published or posted pieces of work, a mix of news and features. If you are fluent in another language or have experience with diverse communities, please include that information in your resume.
Please send application packages for reporting positions to:
or use the contact form at he bottom of this page
Guidelines for candidates
Please use A4 size document for all elements of the package including scanned or downloaded clippings and photos.
Packages should contain complete contact information, including a full mailing address, email address, a phone number and cellphone number, if available. If you are living at a temporary address, please include alternate contact information that will not change for a six-month period (for example, your parents’ address and phone numbers).
Our decisions are final, and while we understand the desire for feedback, we cannot provide individual assessments of candidates.
Six months program, design department – Page Designer
Candidates should send a resume, cover letter and 5 examples of their work to
contact[at]siamnews.net or use the contact form at he bottom of this page
Work samples may be sent as PDF files only. No phone calls, please. We cannot return applications or any materials submitted with applications. If you include an email address, you will receive a standard acknowledgement that we received your package. If we are able to offer an interview, someone will be in touch to arrange it.